2019 Select Program
LCYO Softball offers an opportunity to expand our players skills and allow our girls to play softball at a competitive level during the recreational season. We encourage players who have high level skills, who enjoy the sport and are interested improving their skills, and who are dedicated to participating in the program to try out.
The Select Program is a sanctioned USA Softball program and has very specific rules. Every year, since the Select Program’s inception, changes have been made to the Select Program. The following reflects LCYO’s select program, consistent with the USA softball rules:
▪ 10u and 12u Players must be registered and play with La Costa Softball 2019 Spring Season team first. The Select Team is a second team on which to participate.
▪ Additional fees will be required for Jersey and socks (wear your own black pant), umpire fees and tournaments.
The Select Program Will:
▪ 10u and 12U Teams forming for 2019.
▪ Be a “select” group of skilled players who will play in tournaments during the recreational season. Players will be invited to participate in the Select Program by a team of coaches approved by the LCYO softball board. Interested players will be assessed. The final number of players on each team or teams will be determined based on interest and the results of the evaluation period.
▪ Focus on skills development in preparation for Championship level play. Prior softball experience is required to be assessed for the Select Team.
▪ Provide opportunities to play other Select Teams. It is likely our Select Teams will play 1-2 tournaments depending upon team skill and readiness. USA Softball will organize 1-2 tournaments in San Diego County during the Select season.
▪ Work out all girls across all divisions during one practice time (2-3 hours) every Sunday. We believe there is synergy in integrating the players at different levels and will structure practices such that all players benefit from coaches specializing in various aspects of the game. A head coach will be selected during the evaluation period for each of the divisions. He or she will be responsible for the coordination and communication with parents on matters specific to your player’s team/division.
▪ Focus on position development. Based on skills, players may be assigned to 1-2 positions. Every position on the field is critically important during Championship level play. Developing players who know their position and successfully execute that position make us a stronger team and a stronger league. This program will help groom players to be the best at the position for which they exhibit the strongest skills.
▪ Be flexible. We understand many of our players have other commitments that make it difficult to attend all practices and all games. We will ask that all players disclose their availability and their participation on all other softball teams (travel ball). This will help the coaches and the league determine both team size and team availability for tournaments. Availability to participate in the program may play a role in player selection as Select Teams are allowed a maximum of 4 players who are participating on a travel ball type team after February 1 in addition to all players on the roster.
▪ Select Team Season Ends on March 31, 2019. The benefits to concluding on March 31st, 2019 are that all players become eligible to make the Gold All Star team in their division. These youth athletes will take a 4 week break from participating on two teams. They will be rested to enter the All-Star Season which begins May 1.
▪ Have an initial cost of $85.00. This includes a jersey, socks, one tournament registration per player and umpire fees for practice games. Additional fees may be incurred if the coach/team determines a second tournament is feasible.
The Select Program Will Not:
▪ Determine the All Star teams. Although the players will benefit from the advanced play and skills training, participation in the Select Program is not a guarantee all players will make the Gold or Silver All Star Team.
▪ Prevent players from trying out for All Stars. All Stars will be selected through the same evaluation process. Not playing on the Select Team will not prevent players for trying out for or making the All Star team(s) nor does playing on the team guarantee All Star participation.
▪ Provide equal playing time for all players during tournament play. When playing in tournaments or friendlies, the team’s head coach will have the discretion to field the best 9 players on the team. It will be up to the coach to make this decision for each game. During USA Softball tournaments, teams may not be allowed to “bat around” in bracket play – therefore 9 players will make the Lineup and the remaining players will be substituted or will participate as DP/Flex players. Players position on the field or playing time is not for discussion between parents and coaches before, after or during tournament play.
As a league, we are very excited to provide this opportunity to our players.
11/25 Tryout Day 1 (12U, 9-11AM 10U, 11-1) Field: SC1
12/2 Tryout Day 2 (12U, 9-11AM 10U, 11-1) Field: Alga Norte Dirt
12/7 Teams / Coaches selected - Players notified
1/6 1st Official Day of Practices
1/20 Super Friendly
1/27 Practice or Friendly games
2/3 Practice or friendly games
2/10 Practice or friendly games
2/17 Practice or friendly games
2/24 North San Diego Select Tournament (Day 1)
3/3 North San Diego Select Tournament (Day 2)
3/10 Practice or friendly games
3/17 Practice or friendly games
3/24 Practice or friendly games
3/31 Practice or friendly games